In their yearly CSR report, Samsung continues to report on significant violations of labour rights within dozens of their Chinese suppliers. The report on the South Korean firm was undertaken by external auditors,certified by the Electronic Industry Citizenship Coalition, and reported dozens of violations of labour standards.
The report covered 100 of Samsung’s 200 factories and included the following violations:
- 33 suppliers broke local regulations on insurance
- 39 paid fixed wages without compensation for overtime
- 33 used pay cuts as a disciplinary measure
- 59 suppliers do not provide sufficient protective clothing
- 48 let minors (aged 16 – 18) handle chemicals.