[:en]Coal India Ltd. [:de]Coal India Ltd.[:pl]Coal India Ltd.[:]

[:en]

India is both the world’s 3rd largest coal producer and the world’s 3rd largest coal importer1. In 2013, it produced 613 million tons of coal, and imported a further 180 million tons2. Just one company – Coal India Limited (CIL) – accounts for over 80% of the country’s coal production. With 462 million tons annual production (mtpa)3, Coal India claims to be the world’s biggest coal producer4. CIL was established in the 1970s when coal mining was nationalised in India5 and is 90% government-owned, with the remaining 10% held by international investors following an initial public offering (IPO) in 2010. Coal India has been a member of the UN Global Compact since 20106. As of December 2014, the Norwegian sovereign wealth fund and the AMP-RIL- Fund have excluded Coal India from their investment universe.

Coal India has received multiple criticisms based on the severe environmental damage it has inflicted and the unbearable working conditions in its mines, which were the site of around 205 deaths and 700 injuries in 2010 alone. Furthermore, the company is accused of recklessly destroying wildlife habitats, many of which are occupied by the endangered Indian tiger. Coal India was nominated for the Worst Company of the Year 2013 by the Public Eye Awards.

 

Investor information correct as at publication of Dirty Profits 3.

 

Current major shareholders according to Morningstar

Current investors according to Moneycontrol

 

[:de]Coal India ist der staatliche Konzern Indiens zum Abbau von Kohle. Coal India ist der weltweit größte Kohleförderer, der etwa 90% aller Kohlminen in Indien betreibt. Ende März 2010 betrieb Coal India 471 Kohleminen in 21 großen Abbaugebieten in acht Staaten in Indien und produzierte über 400 Millionen Tonnen Kohle. Der Konzern ist an der Börse notiert, wobei 90% der Aktien von der Regierung gehalten und 10% frei gehandelt werden.

Coal India wird vor Allem wegen Umweltzerstörung und inakzeptablen Arbeitsbedingungen in den Minen kritisiert, die allein 2010 zu 205 Toten und ca. 700 Verletzen geführt haben. Weiterhin wird dem Unternehmen vorgeworfen ganze Landstriche unbewohnbar zu machen und die Existenz des Indischen Tigers massiv zu gefährden. 2013 wurde Coal India für den Public Eye Award als schlimmstes Unternehmen nominiert.

Die Investoren entsprechen dem Stand von Dirty Profits 3.

Anteilseigner laut Morningstar

Aktuelle Investoren laut Moneycontrol[:pl]

Coal India to państwowe przedsiębiorstwo górnicze zarządzające około 90 % indyjskich kopalni węgla. Jest największą firmą wydobywającą ten surowiec na świecie. W marcu 2010 r. Coal India miało 471 kopalni w 21 największych złożach węgla w ośmiu stanach Indii, wydobywając 403,7 miliona ton węgla. Tylko 10 % akcji firmy sprzedawane jest na wolnym rynku. Pozostałe 90 % jest w posiadaniu indyjskiego rządu.

Coal India jest ostro krytykowane przede wszystkim za ogromne zniszczenia w środowisku naturalnym, a także przerażające warunki pracy w kopalniach. Tylko w 2010 r. zginęło w nich 205 górników, a 700 odniosło obrażenia. Firma jest ponadto oskarżana o lekkomyślne niszczenie siedlisk zagrożonych zwierząt, między innymi tygrysa bengalskiego.

Firma nominowana została w 2013 r. do niechlubnej nagrody Public Eye Award przyznawanej za nieuczciwe praktyki w biznesie.

Główni akcjonariusze firmy według portalu Morningstar

Obecni inwestorzy według Moneycontrol

[:]


  1. World Coal Association: Coal Statistics (accessed 9.10.2014) []
  2. World Coal Association: Coal Statistics (accessed 9.10.2014) []
  3. The Economic Times (2014): Coal India output at 462 MT; misses FY’14 target; 7 April (accessed 27.10.2014) []
  4. Coal India: Welcome to Coal India Career Portal (accessed 27.10.2014) []
  5.  Urgewald, BankTrack, CEE Bankwatch Network, Polska Zielona Sieć (2013): Banking on Coal, p.51 (accessed 9.10.2014) []
  6. UN Global Compact (2014): Participants & Stakeholders: Coal India (accessed 27.10.2014) []
Registered business address:
23A, Netaji Subhas Road, Murgighata, B B D Bagh, Kolkata, West Bengal 700001, India
India

ISIN Homepage More about this company at Banktrack.org Business areas Investors Criticised cases Norms, affected by criticised cases

Comments are closed.